Lakeland Landsharks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to train with a possible injury?

+2
monkey
lolaride
6 posters

Go down

How to train with a possible injury? Empty How to train with a possible injury?

Post  lolaride Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I believe I have sustained my first training injury. I can't recall a specific event, or exact time when it started, but my knee has been bothering me the past couple of weeks when running. I'm not sure how to continue training with the pain. I have been using ice and Advil after running. Should I train through it? Should I see a doctor or chiropractor? I've even thought of visiting Fitniche again for another gait analysis, to see if my gait has changed in the past couple of years since I had it done. I'm afraid of taking time off of running, but I'm also afraid of injuring it further. Any suggestions?
lolaride
lolaride

Back to top Go down

How to train with a possible injury? Empty Re: How to train with a possible injury?

Post  monkey Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 am

When was the last time you bought shoes? They may be worn out.
monkey
monkey
Sprint

Back to top Go down

How to train with a possible injury? Empty Re: How to train with a possible injury?

Post  lolaride Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 am

I have only been wearing these for about 2 months. I only have maybe 120-150 miles on them. I'll try that, though.
lolaride
lolaride

Back to top Go down

Post  Heartbomb08 Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 am

I'm not an expert Lola but my knee started hurt for a little while after I started biking. Others my know more, but could it be that you're using clips now and it's putting a different strain on your knee? That it's not an injury but just soreness?
Heartbomb08
Heartbomb08

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:42 am

Before you buy new shoes, maybe bring them in and talk to the people at Fit Niche. Do you stretch out before and after you run? It may also be the clips as Heartbomb mentioned. You may want to let the float out on your pedals, if there is a setting on them. This will let you move your feet without unclipping.
monkey
monkey
Sprint

Back to top Go down

Post  rundmd Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:54 am

lolaride wrote:I believe I have sustained my first training injury. I can't recall a specific event, or exact time when it started, but my knee has been bothering me the past couple of weeks when running. I'm not sure how to continue training with the pain. I have been using ice and Advil after running. Should I train through it? Should I see a doctor or chiropractor? I've even thought of visiting Fitniche again for another gait analysis, to see if my gait has changed in the past couple of years since I had it done. I'm afraid of taking time off of running, but I'm also afraid of injuring it further. Any suggestions?

where exactly does it hurt? Be specific, behind the knee cap, on the outside of your knee over a boney protrusion? does it only hurt when you run and not when you walk? Once you figure out if it is an soft tissue or muscle/ligament damage I can tell you if training through it is an option. However, in most cases training through pain is not a good option. the hardest part about training is staying healthy and SMART. Nobody wants to stop training due to an injury but if you want it to get better you have to. You can add water joggin into your routine if you have to stop running outside. Anyway, tell me about the pain in as much detail as possible.

thanks
dawn
rundmd
rundmd

Back to top Go down

Post  lolaride Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:36 am

The pain is in the anterior of the knee, a bit medial to the patellar tendon. It feels like when you do a very long run and your knees hurt when you walk downhill or go downstairs. There is no popping or clicking sensation. It hurts most when I do speedwork and after a long run. (In fact, I did a long run today, and it didn't bother me during, only after. Perhaps it is just soreness.). It also hurts when I kneel on it, but doesn't necessarily hurt when it is bent.

I'm not great at stretching before a run (I heard that it isn't good to stretch cold muscles??), but I always do a warmup, cooldown, and stretch after workouts. It could be related to the new bike shoes, the timing is about right. I will check that out.

Thanks for the help.
lolaride
lolaride

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:48 pm

When you cycle, are you a masher or a spinner?
Masher=Heavy gearing, low cadence
Spinner=Light gearing, high cadence

I think I have experienced this before and it started after a few long rides. I would leave it in a hard gear and I think I overdid it and strained something.

Admin
Admin

https://lakelandtri.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 am

lolaride wrote:The pain is in the anterior of the knee, a bit medial to the patellar tendon. It feels like when you do a very long run and your knees hurt when you walk downhill or go downstairs. There is no popping or clicking sensation. It hurts most when I do speedwork and after a long run. (In fact, I did a long run today, and it didn't bother me during, only after. Perhaps it is just soreness.). It also hurts when I kneel on it, but doesn't necessarily hurt when it is bent.

I'm not great at stretching before a run (I heard that it isn't good to stretch cold muscles??), but I always do a warmup, cooldown, and stretch after workouts. It could be related to the new bike shoes, the timing is about right. I will check that out.

Thanks for the help.
I sounds like patellar tendonitis to me. This is common if you have been increasing mileage too quickly or if you have general weakness in the glutes and hamstrings (typical of runners).

Step #1: Get a foam roller! Every single athlete should have one. period. I like the one you can get at Target because it has a good video that comes with it and explains foam rolling. Foam rolling needs to be done properly to be effective. Call before you just go to Target, though, I send everyone there so they are often out of stock! tongue

Step #2: Get a massage. If you are already at the point of pain the adhesions in your vastus lateralis and IT ar probably already at the point that they will need a jump start. Ask the masseuse to focus on your legs. I use Leah Stine. She is brilliant, very familiar with athletes and in my opinion the best in the biz. I send all my clients to her. 863-397-7531

Step #3: Take a week off or running...... at least. A week should be a good amount of time to get into the practice of foam rolling and stretching and should allow for the swelling in the tendon to go down. Then build back slowly!

Step #4: Strengthen the hamstrings and glutes. See, when the quads overpower the hammies and glutes it makes the balance of power in the leg off. The quad then take on more and more of the workload as the hamstrngs and glutes get weaker and weaker. When the quad is overworked it develops adhesions in the muscle and general tighness. This tightness pulls on the tendon and causes "tendonitis" (basically, swelling of the tendon). You need to do one eg squats, lunges, ball bridges, deadlifts, and lateral moves to balance out your legs. I would be more than happy to throw some exercises together and send it to you with pictures and video of each exercise. You can email me at becwro1@gmail.com

Hope this helps!
Toe jam on crusty feet
Toe jam on crusty feet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum