Wetsuit Help

Go down

Wetsuit Help

Post  BB on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am

I am signed up for St. Anthony's and considering doing a tri in Gainesville in February. So, I suppose I need a wetsuit. My biggest question is whether I should get sleeveless or full? I don't know that I'll be using it much in truly cold, water and I would think the freedom of movement and feel for the water of sleeveless would be better. I have no idea though, as I've never used a wetsuit. Any thoughts?

BB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wetsuit Help

Post  monkey on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:34 pm

If at all possible, go try the wetsuits on. Some people feel constricted in the arms and around the neck which can lead to panic. There are also a couple other options, if you look at the desoto wetsuits, they are 2 pieces, so you could get the bottoms and 2 different tops, tank and full. I personally have a farm john which i like a lot but I haven't been in that cold of water. One thing you will notice when you swim is that it is very difficult to kick because your legs float so high in the water, so if you are a breast stroker, it can be difficult to kick. Different wetsuits have different thicknesses in the legs. The other option is renting a wetsuit and then you can try it out on a couple swims to see if you like a full or a farm john. I have heard of wetsuitrental.com, I'm sure there are others. Good luck in your search.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm

I personally like the sleeveless one. It allows for better range of motion in the shoulders. You live in FL and in reality how many times will you need the sleeves. It is like running in a sweatshirt, it feels good for the first few minutes and then you are hot, sweaty and DYING of heat. I wore my sleeveless at Timberman in New Hampshire (much colder than here) and was just fine.
Toe jam on crusty feet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down