Cypress Gardens Sprint

Go down

Cypress Gardens Sprint

Post  Heartbomb08 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:08 pm

What a fun day!! Becca, Brian, Dave W. are all awesome for going out to lend support...What a great team we have!!

Much better race for me personally, even though I have so much room to improve. I guess at this point, after two races, a person decides if triathlon is their bag. All I can say is that I cannot wait to train, train, train for next year!! Just like Dave W. told me, I am hooked.

My line....only one direction to go for me and that's up. 8 of 9 in my group (Clydesdale 200-224 39 & Under). Are we sure that swim was 600m??????

Swim T1 Rank Bike Rate T2 Rank Run Pace Penalty Final
22:10 2:08 6 31:58 18.8 1:09 8 30:54 9:58 1:28:17

Thanks again Becca, Dave and Brian!!!!!!!! Good Job Betsy on her first go! Donna....I'm going to trip you next race
Heartbomb08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Gardens Sprint

Post  monkey on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:09 am

Great job on the finish you looked strong throughout. You should be really proud. Next up Gasparilla distance classic? Rest your foot so you can continue kicking a**.

Oh yeah, aren't you glad you didn't wait for this to be your first.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 am

It was a really good day for me, all around.

I didn't have time to warm up on the bike as much as I would have liked. And if the race started on time, I wouldn't have had much of a swim warm up either. I had a hard time on the swim finding my stroke and settling in. That third buoy was barely visible, even with goggles up. I had to stop twice, pull the goggles up and sight the buoy. Swimming is my strenght and I could have gone faster with the same effort with some planning and open water experience. The last time I swam in open water was 1996. And yes, that swim was definitely more than 600m! I was 6th out of the water in the first wave, but got passed by 4 people on the way to the bike. Shocked Gotta improve that run.

The bike went really well and was uneventful but for a few cars on the course here or there. Nothing significant. I wasn't sure how hard to push with the run to follow. As it turns out, I probably could have pushed a little harder, but who knows. I had my best 5k, so maybe I paced well on the bike.

The bike to run transition was a bit of a disaster. My stuff was scattered from where I left it. I had to search for my socks for a moment (I left them on top of my shoes). Then I ran the wrong way out of the transition and had to ask the people at the bike entrance "which way for the run". They looked at me like the idiot that I was, and pointed the other way. Oh well. I actually felt really good on the first mile of the run. I was getting passed by some runners that I had no chance of keeping up with, but I expected that and settled into my own pace. During the second mile I started to feel some twinges of hamstring cramps. I was afraid to push to hard in that middle mile. The last mile in the parking lot was kind of boring, but it helped because I could see the runners behind me. I was in good position and knew that I just needed to finish at a steady pace without cramping. Someone was catching me during the last half mile and I started feeling better so I pushed it. We ended up in a sprint finish that I thought ended in a tie. He must have been a relay or duathlon runner though, because he was not in the tri results for my age group. In the end, the run was my fastest 5k by a couple of minutes. I've only been running for a couple of months and have always had a difficult time with running and injury. I think I'm getting past that now, but still have some achilles issues (though this is new). I used to suffer from shin splints and knee pain. Changing my style has gotten rid of these problems completely.

I definitely learned a lot that will hopefully benefit me in future races. First, I need to arrive earlier. I wasn't able to get much of a warmup. Second, and probably most important, by some clear goggles! Dark mirrored goggles do not work. I also had a difficult time lining up the blue flags for the finish. Third, know which way to run out of transition before the race. Embarassed

I managed third in my age group and 19th overall. The guys that beat me in my age group, killed me on the run. Our bike times were virtualy identical. What a great time. I can't wait for the next. I've already signed up for the Boca Bop but am looking for another to do in between. Suncoast at Fort Desoto?

3 127 37 Lakeland FL 1 12:51 0:48 3 25:46 23.3 1:13 8 23:45 7:40 1:04:22

BB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:42 am

Wow, congrats on a great race. That's a pretty nice time for your first race in 12 years. Quick question, do you ride in the fast group on the Saturdays rides? I recognized someone from the Saturday rides, and wasn't sure if that was you.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks! I really was very happy with the result. I do ride on Saturdays. Do you? Never mind, of course you do or you wouldn't have recognized someone from that ride. I'm tall and lean. My name is Bill (William) Bracken. Lately, I've been riding a red/black/gray Cervelo P3C. I also ride a blue aluminum cannondale. Have we met? If not, I should be out there next Saturday. Say hello so I can thank you for the advice in person.

Now, to work on that run . . .

BB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:40 pm

I rode with you when you first started and the group would stop at Buddy Freddys and a couple times around the lake. I haven't really participated in the group rides in a while. During the season Saturday mornings were always my time to swim, so I missed out. And right now, I'm not in good enough shape to ride with either groups. The last month of class has eaten up all of my training time, but next time I see you I will definitely say hello. I'm about 6'1" with a shaved head and ride a blue Cannondale System Six. My name is David. Hopefully after my midterm next week I'll be able to get back on my bike.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Heartbomb08 wrote:What a fun day!! Becca, Brian, Dave W. are all awesome for going out to lend support...What a great team we have!!

Much better race for me personally, even though I have so much room to improve. I guess at this point, after two races, a person decides if triathlon is their bag. All I can say is that I cannot wait to train, train, train for next year!! Just like Dave W. told me, I am hooked.

My line....only one direction to go for me and that's up. 8 of 9 in my group (Clydesdale 200-224 39 & Under). Are we sure that swim was 600m??????

Swim T1 Rank Bike Rate T2 Rank Run Pace Penalty Final
22:10 2:08 6 31:58 18.8 1:09 8 30:54 9:58 1:28:17

Thanks again Becca, Dave and Brian!!!!!!!! Good Job Betsy on her first go! Donna....I'm going to trip you next race

Michael- You were a ROCKSTAR!!! Even after 5 weeks of no running, you did awesome! The next tri season is going to be very promising for you!!
Toe jam on crusty feet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 pm

flmonkey wrote:I rode with you when you first started and the group would stop at Buddy Freddys and a couple times around the lake. I haven't really participated in the group rides in a while. During the season Saturday mornings were always my time to swim, so I missed out. And right now, I'm not in good enough shape to ride with either groups. The last month of class has eaten up all of my training time, but next time I see you I will definitely say hello. I'm about 6'1" with a shaved head and ride a blue Cannondale System Six. My name is David. Hopefully after my midterm next week I'll be able to get back on my bike.

Liar.... your name is MONKEY! Razz
Toe jam on crusty feet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down