Lakeland Landsharks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice?

2 posters

Go down

Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice? Empty Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice?

Post  BB Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:34 am

Here's my plan. This is my first tri in 12+ years and I didn't pay attention to this stuff back then.

T1 -- Shoes on towel. water bottle to spray off feet next to shoes. Helmet on Aero Bars with shades inside. 1 water bottle and 1 gatorade bottle on bike. neither full since the ride is so short. Put on shoes first. Put on helmet and shades and go!

I'll have a gel around 2/3 of way through bike to fuel me for the run (which will be the longest leg for me because I'm slow).

T2 -- Running shoes on towel with socks on top (I haven't tried running sockless yet). Number with race belt next to shoes with visor (more for sweat than sun). Off with bike shoes. On with socks and running shoes. Belt on. Grab visor and go.

Any advice from those of you who are experienced?

BB

Back to top Go down

Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice? Empty Re: Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice?

Post  monkey Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Looks like you have it down. One thing about Gel, if you aren't used to taking it during exercise, you may want to water it down or have it in a Gel Flask. I had a bad reaction with gel during a triathlon, when it hit the back of my throat, it caused me to start dry heaving and coughing, which lasted for the majority of a ride and the run. If you are comfortable with taking gels, then disregard what I said. When I come in from the swim, the first thing I do is take the cap and goggles off as I am approaching the beach. The first thing I do as reach my bike is put on my helmet and glasses. I take off with my shoes attached to my bike and when I finish the ride I like to slip my feet out of the bike shoes as I approach the last half mile of my ride, so I can hop off the bike and rack and rack it. If you haven't practiced this, I put on and take off your shoes at transition. I also roll up my socks half way so I can slip them on with little effort. For shoe laces, I have the zip laces, which work great, no tieing and your gone. Good luck with tomorrows race. Enjoy it and have fun.

Oh yeah, make sure your bike is in a gear that you can start off in easily. On the run, what I have found to be an easier transition has been to take shorter strides at a higher repetition. Don't know if you have problems with making the transition from bike to run, but I find it to be the hardest thing. That has helped me out tremendously, it seems it helps get my heartrate down and breathing regulated.
monkey
monkey
Sprint

Back to top Go down

Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice? Empty Re: Cypress Gardens Transition - Advice?

Post  BB Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks! I'm used to the gels from cycling. Great tips on having the bike in a good starting gear. I hadn't thought of that. We'll find out tomorrow how much trouble I have with the bike/run transition Smile I've only done it a couple of times, but never after a TT effort on the bike. I thnk the short strides on the run will be best for me as well. I'm tall, but Rich taught me to take shorter strides to avoid injury anyway. I still have to concentrate on that.

BB

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:11 am

How did you do BB?
monkey
monkey
Sprint

Back to top Go down

Post  BB Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:33 am

I was very happy with my race. I got 3rd in my age group and 19th overall. Details in the race report section. Thanks for the advice. My transitions need a lot of work.

BB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down