Faster Transitions

Go down

Faster Transitions

Post  rundmd on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

here are some ways i have made my transitions faster...feel free to add on!!

Out of the water
-take your cap and goggles off immediately (sounds funny but i have seen people put on their helmet with swim cap)
-have your helmet on your aero bars, inside your helmet have your sunglasses and number
-if your feet are dirty have a water bottle filled with water to spray off your feet
-put your socks on with wet feet they will dry by the run and you waste time drying your feet
- Make sure your hair (this is for the ladies) can fit under your helmet for instance ponytails dont fit so well but french braids do. If not cut your hair - thats what i did Smile
Bike to run
-Hat - have your hat on top of your shoes
-Gel - put gels in your shoes to shove into your tri top pocket. since you can't put on your shoes with the gels in there you will never forget them.
- speed laces - put them in your shoes but do not train in them for more than a week...why? elastic laces don't hold your foot in place as well as regular laces and can cause your foot to move forward and you will get a black toenail that falls off - who wants that...yuck. They are ok for a race though.

On the bike
-if you tend to get focused on the bike and forget to take in nutrition set your watch to go off every 15 mins. It could be to remember to take gel or salt or drink but you will get yourself in trouble on the run if you forget to hydrate and take nutrition on the bike.
-salt - i have to take salt tabs so i have a little baggie taped to my aero bars wtih salt pills. They are above my computer so when i look at my bike computer i see my salt pills - i havent forgotten to take them since i started doing this.

thats all i have for now...what do you guys have?
rundmd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Faster Transitions

Post  monkey on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:27 pm

You could also tape your gels to your bike. From what I've heard electrical tape is triathletes friend. LOL
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Reid on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:06 am

Solid tips ironmanx2. I just started using speedlaces this year and didn't really like the feel of them compared to the regular laces while I'm training. You're right, they're great for the races though.

I've got a couple of things that have helped my transitions. Mine are geared a little more towards shorter distance races since that's all I really know up to this point.

1. I've started racing without socks recently with no major issues through my first couple of races (which I was worried about, especially running). This will definitely help you get out of T1 quick. You can probably do this for an olympic distance race too, any further than that and I'm not sure that it's worth saving a few seconds in transition for.

2. Taking your feet out of your bike shoes a couple hundred yards out when coming into T2. Multiple advantages to this one. First, you don't have to run your bike back to the rack in those d*%n shoes. Second, you can slip right into your running shoes since you didn't have to take the bike shoes off. And most importantly, you look cool....and everyone will think you really know what you're doing.

3. The last one is a simple one. Get a race belt to snap your race number on to if you haven't picked one up yet. Much better than trying to pin it on to your shorts, "trikini", or whatever you decide to wear. You can grab it and start running out of transition and snap it on while you're heading into the run.

Let's hear some more....
Chopper Reid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rundmd on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am

Float Hammer Jog wrote:Solid tips ironmanx2. I just started using speedlaces this year and didn't really like the feel of them compared to the regular laces while I'm training. You're right, they're great for the races though.

I've got a couple of things that have helped my transitions. Mine are geared a little more towards shorter distance races since that's all I really know up to this point.

1. I've started racing without socks recently with no major issues through my first couple of races (which I was worried about, especially running). This will definitely help you get out of T1 quick. You can probably do this for an olympic distance race too, any further than that and I'm not sure that it's worth saving a few seconds in transition for.

2. Taking your feet out of your bike shoes a couple hundred yards out when coming into T2. Multiple advantages to this one. First, you don't have to run your bike back to the rack in those d*%n shoes. Second, you can slip right into your running shoes since you didn't have to take the bike shoes off. And most importantly, you look cool....and everyone will think you really know what you're doing.

3. The last one is a simple one. Get a race belt to snap your race number on to if you haven't picked one up yet. Much better than trying to pin it on to your shorts, "trikini", or whatever you decide to wear. You can grab it and start running out of transition and snap it on while you're heading into the run.

Let's hear some more....

As far as getting a race belt is concerned i have made this mistake several times...
there are a couple different types of belts i have a zoot and a fuel belt brand one. the fuel belt has what looks like buttons to attach your number and the zoot has a bungie type system. when i first used the fuel belt i would put my number on but not try on the belt afterwards. when you put the belt on in the race it stretches and your race number will tear. Be sure to allow room for your belt to stretch. if you put your number on straight across with no give it will tear when you snap your belt....does that make sense? btw i like the zoot bungie type of belt better and it stays put on your hips and doesnt ride up onto your waist.
rundmd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:55 pm

hmmmmmm... I need a race belt if I am going to wear a tri suit.. I have always thrown on a shirt to run, but now I see I need a belt.
Toe jam on crusty feet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rundmd on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:29 pm

You can use mine..I'll get it to you before your race.
rundmd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down