Scenic 17 Sprint Tri

Go down

Scenic 17 Sprint Tri

Post  Chopper Reid on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:37 pm

It's nice to have the occasional race close to home from time to time and other than Cypress Gardens, we don't have too many of those opportunities. I was excited to hear that Webber College would be hosting an inaugural race this year, especially since I live in Winter Haven. I've solely done sprint distance triathlons for the past 3 years but I get the feeling once I start training with this group my desire to challenge myself with some longer distances isn't too far away. Anyhow....this race and course has the potential to be an awesome event for this area. There was a very small turnout for this race, but hopefully they'll be able to generate a lot more interest next year. They may want to pick another weekend next year. Looks like the Top Gun triathlon at Ft. Desoto draws a big field, about 800 from the results. But this was a very cool race. The distances were on the outer limits of most of the sprints with a 1/2 mile swim and a 15 mile bike and a 5k run. I prefer the shortest swim possible myself, but I guess I'll have to get over that if I'm going to be doing any oly's in the future. The course was very challenging, definitely not a flat and fast course. Crooked lake is a beautiful lake, one of the nicer lakes around to swim in. And there were some hills on the bike course that had me in the lowest gear on the bike trying to get up to the top, but the fun part is going back down where you get going so fast it's scary. The run course had a few mild hills on it as well. Receiving a finisher's medal is a nice touch, but instead of a medal, everyone received an Inaugural Scenic 17 Pint Glass (they called them "tea" glasses). So you're free to fill the "tea" glass with whatever you want, but it was a nice gift to take home.
Personally I had a decent race, about par for the course: struggle through the swim, go like hell on the bike, and try to survive the run. I even met a Landshark at the race. Tom went flying by me on the run and won our age group! So this is a race on a beautiful but fairly tough course with a lot of upside. Looking forward to this race next year with a lot more triathletes. Hope everyone had a good weekend of training and I'll look forward to training with you soon.

Mark
Chopper Reid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scenic 17 Sprint Tri

Post  monkey on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Congrats on the finish. Now you can start a legacy and you have the collector hardware to show for it.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Toe jam on crusty feet on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Great job, Mark!!!!

I will definitely consider this one for next year.... hopefully they will do the tea steins again next year, too!
Toe jam on crusty feet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snooze on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Nice job. I wish I were able t odo it, but just couldn't fit it in the schedule.

Snooze

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down