local tri bike shops?

Go down

local tri bike shops?

Post  mbbrad4d on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Aside from South Lake Cycle, where are some relatively local (and reputable) places to get a tri-bike? I'm looking to fork over some cash for one this fall, but I want to know where the best places are.
mbbrad4d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: local tri bike shops?

Post  monkey on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:46 pm

Where is South Lake Cycle? I like Bent's in Lakeland a lot. Although they don't have a lot of tri bikes in stock, they can order them. University Bike Center in Tampa is pretty decent too and I think they actually have some in stock. I don't know of a Tri specific shop though. You may want to check the bike that your interested in for their local dealers. I know Cervelo has a dealer in Orlando and also Largo. I'm not sure where Felt has a dealer. The other big four Giant, Specialized Cannondale and Trek you can look at locally in Lakeland.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rundmd on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:16 pm

flmonkey wrote:Where is South Lake Cycle? I like Bent's in Lakeland a lot. Although they don't have a lot of tri bikes in stock, they can order them. University Bike Center in Tampa is pretty decent too and I think they actually have some in stock. I don't know of a Tri specific shop though. You may want to check the bike that your interested in for their local dealers. I know Cervelo has a dealer in Orlando and also Largo. I'm not sure where Felt has a dealer. The other big four Giant, Specialized Cannondale and Trek you can look at locally in Lakeland.

You can get Cervelo, Felt and i think QR from loco motion in Winter Park...however make sure you take your bike to Bent's afterwards b/c loco motion has a reputation for just throwing their bikes together. I got my Cervelo there and love it. You can also get Cervelo at Chainwheel Drive in Largo but i literally would pay double for a bike before i go there again - Long Story just trust me, i was in their store and called loco motion and gave them my credit card over the phone they were such jerks.

South Lake carries Giant and they are really cool, mark the owner is a great guy and has his own shop and will definitely treat you right

Orange cycle in Orlando carries a lot of road bikes not much tri

Davids in Orlando and around the orlando area carries Trek and Lemond and i can't remember what else. i went there for a few years in Orlando and they are all pretty nice. I did get a road bike there and they tried hard to upsell me but who doesnt.

I lived in the Clermont Orlando area for 8 years so i cant speak on Tampa stores except Chainwheel.

Bents is a great local store and they do all my repairs..i really like them..

whatever you decide make sure it fits you well and you spend some $$ to get it fitted. If you can wait till january i am trying to arrange for a pro bike fitter to do a clinic and fit our bikes for a discounted rate for all those interested....
rundmd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thanks!

Post  mbbrad4d on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:26 pm

I can certainly wait until January...if you can arrange to have a fitter do a clinic. I'm clueless in terms of what to look for in a tri bike.
mbbrad4d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:06 pm

mbbrad4d wrote:I can certainly wait until January...if you can arrange to have a fitter do a clinic. I'm clueless in terms of what to look for in a tri bike.

I recommend looking around with an exact budget. You can start getting into a tri-bike for about $1500. Look at the components, and be familiar with the different level of components. But more important than componants is fit. Componants can always be changed, but if it's the wrong size or fit, you can't do too much about it. All the info can be found online at the individual bike manufactures websites. A lot of them won't post prices, but if you search them on internet you can get a feel for the prices. I guess, what I am saying is just be educated going into it. When you get to the bike shops, ask a bunch of questions. And if the sales guys a A-hole, leave and go to another, there is no shortage of bike shops.
monkey
Sprint

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Reid on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 am

Don't forget about pedals, shoes, computer, etc. if you don't have all of that stuff already. Adds up quick.
Chopper Reid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down